How do I file a workers’ compensation insurance claim? (2-12-20)

Requirements for reporting work-related injuries vary by state.  See links below for specific state regulations.  Depending upon the nature of the injuries and the type of work performed, there may also be Federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) reporting obligations.

All work-related injuries and incidents which may give rise to a claim should be reported immediately to your workers comp insurance carrier. Here at, we do that work for you. Also, most states’ Division of Workers Compensation Insurance or Department of Labor impose reporting obligations upon employers. When a work-related injury occurs, these employers must submit  a “First Report of Injury” or similar reporting form usually within ten days.  Most work comp insurance carriers assume this responsibility on behalf of their policyholders. However, here at, we strongly recommend employers self-fulfill all reporting obligations to avoid penalties for failure to report on time.

When managing a work-related injury, remember these useful guidelines:

  • Priority one should be to direct injured employees to immediate medical care.
  • Depending upon the nature of the injury, provide transportation for the employee rather than assume they are capable of transporting themselves.
  • Investigate the incident.  Obtain witness statements and supporting documentation including photos.
  • Report the injury to your workers comp insurance carrier and state Division of Workers Compensation as required by regulation.
  • Remember that after initial emergency medical care has been provided, all subsequent medical care must be directed and authorized by your workman’s compensation insurance claims adjuster.  If an injured employee chooses to self-direct their medical care, expenses they incur may not be reimbursed without preauthorization from the insurance company.
  • The employer should follow all medical directives provided by physicians.
  • Under no circumstances should action be taken against the employee which could be construed as retaliation.  Do not terminate the employee.  
  • When in doubt, contact your workmans comp insurance claims adjuster or your state’s Division of Workers Compensation.

Still have questions?  Call us  at 913-647-5536 or email us at

State Workers Compensation Contact Directory

Kansas Division of Workers Compensation
785-296-2996         785-296-5000

Missouri Department of Labor

Powered By: